Saturday, February 6, 2010

Grey Girl Says Good-Bye

Thursday the 4th was a sad, yet happy day. Grey Girl was going to her forever home. I had always known she wasn't staying with me & that she was going to a really good friend of mine, but that didn't make parting any easier.

I'd become quite attached to Grey Girl, aka Baby Dearest. She was born at a time when I was consumed with saving Filly & I wasn't ready for another foal to be born. Then when she was born it was obvious that she too had contracted tendons so I ended up treating TWO fillies. Thankfully GG's contraction resolved with minimal treatment. In her first few weeks I was so busy with Filly that I wasn't able to spend time with GG. As Filly progressed & I knew I wasn't going to lose her, I started to spend much needed time with GG. At first she wanted nothing to do with me, preferring to run & hide behind Mommy Dearest. I'll never forget how strong she was at just a few weeks old, dragging me around the stall when I tried to halter her for the first time. We both ended up on the ground, me sprawled on top holding her down while I managed to get the halter on. Oh was she mad, a spitfire through & through. Then came the day when I was able to scratch her butt when she wasn't looking. That must have felt pretty darned good because she started looking for me to give scratches. It wasn't long before she was following me everywhere, demanding attention even when it meant pushing through the herd to reach me. GG became the most loving filly, a real pocket-pony, the first to greet me at the gate. She's grown into a gorgeous, elegant, lovely moving filly with that "look at me" attitude.
As the day got closer to GG's leaving I had a lot of second thoughts, battling with myself to keep her. She fills such a warm spot in my heart & the light touches of her nose on mine always make me smile. Even as my friend pulled into my drive I wondered if I could really let GG go. I knew I would miss her tremendously, but I also knew my friend would love her & do right by her. Plans for the near future will have GG in the showring, prancing before the judges & I'm sure she'll bring home many ribbons. Once mature she'll travel the trails with my friend. She was such a brave filly getting into the trailer & my eyes were wet as she left my drive. I love you Grey Girl & can't wait to follow your updates. Good luck in the showring.

Later Thursday I spent quite a bit of time hugging & snuggling my face into the very furry Filly. I always knew I wasn't going to keep both fillies, & there was never any question that Filly will remain with me for life. She & I will both miss GG but I know that letting GG go with my friend was the right thing to do. Someday I on Filly & my friend on GG will ride together & reminisce about my year with the fillies.

4 comments:

  1. Onward to new adventures, Grey Filly. I hope you will post from time to time about how she is doing and maybe some photos. With all children, human and equine, you raise them to send them out into the world armed with the best knowledge you can give them. And hug Filly, too. She will be missing her friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GG is doing great w/her new mom & friends. She immediately buddied up w/a grey mare, ignoring the bay filly & colt. I think she's enjoying being among her own color. LOL Spent a lot of time over President's wkend just hugging on Filly & Blondi. They're definitely little attention-hounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always hard to send a horse you've raised down the road, no matter how good the home. My heart always breaks on those days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard. But GG is with a friend who is my "sister", so she's still "in the family", just a couple 100 miles away.

    ReplyDelete